Hi visitor of my website!
I am Maria, female human animal, performer, researcher, dancer, visual artist, sound maker, collaborator, gardener, teacher, cultural worker, daughter, sister,friend, lover and feminist.
If you would like to get in touch with me, please write me an email: mail(at)mariaberauer.com
- November 21th, 2023 Selbst-Schuld-Katapult, Lecture – Performance by Alexandra Rau and Maria Berauer at the exhibition opening of Breadwinners by Priscillia Grubo, Forumtheater Gauting https://bosco-gauting.de/veranstaltungen/priscillia-grubo-breadwinners
- November 24th, 2023 Selbst-Schuld-Katapult, Lecture – Performance by Alexandra Rau and Maria Berauer, at Mapping Gender Struggles, Kulturzentrum Luise, Munich
- December 7th, 2023 Performance with The Hercules and Leo Case, Heppel und Ettlich, Munich
- Diploma Media Art, Academy of Fine Arts, Munich, 2012/2022
- State Examination in Fine Art / Art Education, Academy of Fine Arts Munich, 2011
- 2004 – 2012, Academy of Fine Arts, Munich
- Faculty of Fine Arts, Granada, Spain, 2009
- University of Arts and Design, Karlsruhe, 2007-2008
- Residenztheater, Costumedesign-Assistant 2003-2004
- LMU Munich, studies of art history 2002-2004
Awards, Scholarships, Residencies
- Full stipend residency at Salzamt Linz, Austria, 2023
- Junge Kunst und neue Wege project grant by the Bavarian state, 2022
- Studio grant by Erwin and Gisela von Steiner Stiftung, 2021-2026
- Neustart Kultur Digitalgutschein (for The Hercules and Leo Case), 2021
- Studio grant by the city of Munich, 2020-2021
- Full stipend residency at LA CABINE/LE PAD, supported by collectif BLAST, Angers/France
- Project grant for The Practice Peace Project, departement of culture Munich, 2017
- Project grant for Light as an Instrument for Modulation and Manipulation, departement of culture Munich, 2016
- Project-/Travel grant for Low Cost Exchange , The Hercules and Leo Case, departement of culture Munich, 2016
- Studio grant by the bavarian state, 2015/2016, 2017/2018
- Studio grant by the city of Munich, 2014-2017
- Atelierproject Halle 6, Munich, since 2014
- 1. Exam Prize for outstanding artistic performance, 2011
- Erasmus-grant, Granada, 2009
- Project grant, LfA Förderbank Bayern, 2008
- Student grant University of Arts and Design, Karlsruhe, 2007-2008
Selected Exibitions and Performances
- Everblasting Sand, performance Maria Berauer and Birgit Wagner at Raumschiff, Linz (P)
- Open Otto Steidle Studios, May 20th 2023, with a Performance by The Hercules and Leo Case a.o. (P)
- Selbst-Schuld-Katapult, Lecture – Performance by Alexandra Rau and Maria Berauer, Lothringer 13/Florida, Munich (P)
- Fokus Europa IV, Schafhof Freising (G)
- The Hercules and Leo Case at Taxi Salon, Import Export, Munich (P)
- Residency at Salzamt Linz, January 2023
- Der Hörsinn stirbt zuletzt (The Sense Of Hearing Dies Last), Café Bar Mona, Monacensia Munich (P)
- The Hercules and Leo Case at Literaturfest München, favorit bar, Munich (P)
- Kill Your Darlings, solo performance at Farbenladen, Munich (P)
- The Great Walk Backwards, solo performance at Neu Gedacht, Murnau (P)
- Performance with The Hercules and Leo Case at Picknick Voices & Noises: Pausenmelodien & Zukunftsmusik. Teil des Festivals des Spiels, des Sports und der Kunst. Veranstaltet vom Kulturreferat der Landeshauptstadt München (P)
- Alligator:Go! Festival, MUCCA, IMPORT EXPORT and public space, Munich, http://alligator-go.space
- Polyphonic Museum, online museum by Adam Langer, http://www.polyphonic.museum
- Screening kitchen performance with The Hercules and Leo Case within “Politik am Küchentisch: Feministische Perspektiven auf gerechtes Sorgen”, a project of F*AMLab Munich at Friedensfest Augsburg
- Der Neue Hoagart`n II, (live and online performance with The Hercules and Leo Case) Festival aDevantgarde.16 GRENZEN, Einstein Kultur, Munich http://www.adevantgarde.de/streams-medien
- Livestream kitchen performance with The Hercules and Leo Case at “Systemrelevant? Feministische Perspektiven” Ev. Akademie Tutzing (organized by Ev. Akademie Tutzing and NeGG Bayern – Frauenakademie München e.V.)
- Livestream kitchen performance with The Hercules and Leo Case within “Politik am Küchentisch: Egal wo wir sind – wir machen Politik!” a project of F*AMLab Munich #sieinspiriertmich, Glockenbackwerkstatt, Munich
- Tam Tam Stadtspaziergang #9 (performance with The Hercules and Leo Case), Munich
- Out of the box Festival Finale (with The Hercules and Leo Case), Whitebox Munich http://outofthebox.art/programm/
- Break Through #29, solo performance at the “world`s smalest” performancesspace, in cooperation with “Schaufensterli” (Halle6) and Dorothea Seror, Kreativquartier Munich
- Maria Gracia Latedjou and The Hercules and Leo Case Villa Waldberta, Feldafing and Import Export, Munich,organised by Real München e.V.
- Creatures Made to Measure / Animals and Contemporary Design, with The Hercules and Leo Case, Design Museum Gent https://www.designmuseumgent.be/en/events/creatures-made-to-measure
- Otherwise I am lost, performance with Karo Knote, DANCE 2019 – 16. Internationales Festival für zeitgenössischen Tanz der Landeshauptstadt München/ Ring My Bell, Munich https://www.dance-muenchen.de/de/2019/come-together-right-now/108
- Freie. Radikale. Wer raubt, plündert oder stiehlt , Galerie der Künstler, Munich
- SPACE IS THE PLACE, 25.- 31.10.2018, HALLE 6, www.halle6.net
- Full Stipend Residency at LA CABINE/LE PAD, supported by collectif BLAST, Angers/France www.collectifblast.com
- KHBI4, 4th Klohäuschen, www.khbi4.kh-biennale.world
- Performance, Urban18, july 21th, Halle 6, Munich, www.halle6.net
- The Hercules and Leo Case Performance at the opening of “Fluss ohne Ufer” by Alexi Tsioris, Kunstpavillon Munich
- The Art Of Swimming Learned In Less Than An Our, Performance with The Hercules and Leo Case, HochX Theater Munich
- The Practice Peace Project (Festival), curation and organisation, Kösk Munich
- Panama Plus Festival, Performance by The Hercules and Leo Case, Munich
- Im neuen Gwand, group show, Atelier Dorothea Seror, Munich
- Light as Instrument for Modulation and Manipulation, Solo Perfomance, Halle 6
- Shabsy Mann Album Release, support: The Hercules and Leo Case , DIY Space for London
- Magdalena Munich – In Between , Performance by The Hercules and Leo Case, Munich
- Low Cost Exchange, groupshow, Kulturni Centar, Požega, Serbia
- 100 Years Moondog (Festival), curation, organisation and performance, Kösk, Munich
- KHBi3, 3. Biennial of The Klohäuschen , performance by The Hercules and Leo Case Munich
- Flostern, performance by The Hercules and Leo Case, Munich
- Low Cost Exchange, groupshow, Galerija Remont, Belgrad
- Festival For Improvised Music , performance by The Hercules and Leo Case , Streitfeld, Munich
- Low Cost Exchange, group show, Halle 6, Munich
- contemporallye, group show, Augsburg
- TEN , group show, Halle 6, Munich 2014
- Videodox, Biennial exhibition for videoart in Bavaria, Galerie der Künstler, München
- KHBi2, 2. Biennial of The Klohäuschen, Solo Performance, Munich
- More International Media Art, group show, Galerie KUB, Leipzig
- Yes, I can`t – Serielles öffentliches Scheitern, solo performance series and solo show, The Klohäuschen, München 2012
- Debutant exibition, Academy of Fine Arts Munich
- Redundanz, group show, Halle Süd, Dependance of Galerie für Landschaftskunst Hamburg, Bad Tölz
- Debutant exibition, Academy of Fine Arts Munich
2010 – 2005
- save me – face me – welcome me, Gartenhaus der Kunst, Munich, 2010
- FÖHN FORM FERSTAND, groupshow, Munich, 2008
- goPublic!, groupshow, Karslruhe, 2008
- Lab 30, 5. Augsburger Kunstlabor, Augsburg, 2006
- Traradibummstrara , Golden Pudel Club ( Pudelkollektion ), Hamburg, 2006
- Privatvergnügen, Projectspace Rathausgalerie, München, 2006
- turnturnturn.tv, 40 years of videoart, Lothringer 13/Spiegel, 2006
- Muse heute?, groupshow, Kunsthalle Bremen, 2005
Angaben gemäß § 5 TMG:
Die durch die Seitenbetreiber erstellten Inhalte und Werke auf diesen Seiten unterliegen dem deutschen Urheberrecht. Die Vervielfältigung, Bearbeitung, Verbreitung und jede Art der Verwertung außerhalb der Grenzen des Urheberrechtes bedürfen der schriftlichen Zustimmung. Downloads und Kopien dieser Seite sind nur für den privaten, nicht kommerziellen Gebrauch gestattet. Soweit die Inhalte auf dieser Seite nicht vom Betreiber erstellt wurden, werden die Urheberrechte Dritter beachtet. Insbesondere werden Inhalte Dritter als solche gekennzeichnet. Sollten Sie trotzdem auf eine Urheberrechtsverletzung aufmerksam werden, bitten wir um einen entsprechenden Hinweis. Bei Bekanntwerden von Rechtsverletzungen werden wir derartige Inhalte umgehend entfernen.
Performance in collaboration with Birgit Wagner
at Bewegungsbar “Beach Life Good Life” at Raumschiff Linz 2023
duration 16 min
photos by Elisabeth Ertl and Judith Breitenbrunner
A beach ball filled with sand hanging from the ceiling. A large knife. A watermelon. Two performers. One (Maria Berauer) in a swimsuit and sunglasses is basking in the sand blast and relishing giving her previously honey-coated body an all-over sand coating. The other, in shorts and undershirt, with a black cap, on all fours, is constantly rolling a watermelon from left to right, from right to left. In addition, crackling sand trickles from the loudspeaker.
Ein mit Sand gefüllter Wasserball, der von der Decke hängt. Ein großes Messer. Eine Wassermelone. Zwei Performerinnen. Die eine (Maria Berauer) in Badeanzug, mit Sonnenbrille, suhlt sich im Sandstrahl und verpasst ihrem zuvor mit Honig überzogenen Körper lustvoll eine All-Over Sandpanade. Die andere, in Shorts und Unterhemd, mit schwarzer Kappe, auf allen Vieren, rollt unentwegt eine Wassermelone vorn links nach recht, von rechts nach links. Dazu knisterndes Sandrieseln aus dem Lautsprecher.
Kill Your Darlings
99 Miniballons, 1 needle, 2 nylon tights, 1 pillow
duration 90 min
The artist slowly moves through the room while lying on her back. Her nylon tights are filled to the brim with small, colorful balloons. She counts 1,2,3,4,…23 and punctures a balloon with a needle attached to her finger. It pops. repetition. Until there are only 7 balloons left. She puts these in a screw-top jar. For later.
The performance deals with the socially taboo topics of unfulfilled desire to have children, aging and so-called social freezing.
The performance took place during the opening of the exhibition “Auf- und Abwarten” by Carolin Wenzel at Farbenladen Munich
photos/videos by Carolin Wenzel and Maria Berauer
The Great Regression
solo performance backwards walk
duration 60 min
Turn around. Walking backwards. One foot behind the other. Not seeing where to. Walking slowly. Backwards Moving forward. Trusting the steps. Feeling the ground. Watching traces. Undo progress. Still moving forward. Extend antennas. Perceive. Who do I want to have been?
The change of perspective is attempted, perception sharpened. New things are taken up, old things discarded, loved ones left behind. The body trains the realignment, the Moonwalker neurons get into action and create trouble in the system.
The performance explores backwards-walking as a possibility of reorientation in an “always-continuing-as-before-stream” and sets a fine, decelerated sign of resistance to the turbo-capitalist madness about progress.
…and like a fine ray of sand, time keeps running out… IT’S TIME TO GO WILD!
photos by Karim Dabbèche and Maria Berauer
Der Große Rückschritt
Solo Performance Rückwärts Spaziergang
Dauer 60 min
Umdrehen. Rückwärts gehen. Ein Fuß hinter den anderen. Nicht Sehen wohin. Langsam gehen. Sich rückwärts vorwärtsbewegen. Den Schritten vertrauen. Boden spüren. Spuren betrachten. Fortschritt rückgängig. Trotzdem voranschreiten. Antennen ausfahren. Wahrnehmen. Wer will ich gewesen sein?
Der Perspektivwechsel wird versucht, die Wahrnehmung geschärft. Neues wird aufgegriffen, Altes verworfen, Liebgewonnenes zurückgelassen. Der Körper trainiert die Neuausrichtung, die Moonwalker Neuronen geraten in Wallung und stiften Unruhe im System.
Die Performance erkundet das Rückwärtsgehen als Möglichkeit der Neuorientierung in einem „Immer-Weiter-wie-bisher-Strom“ und setzt ein feines, entschleunigtes Zeichen des Widerstands gegen den turbokapitalistischen Fortschrittswahn.
…und wie ein feiner Strahl aus Sand verrinnt unaufhörlich die Zeit … IT`S TIME TO GO WILD!
Zu Wasser/Zu Land (live)
life recording of two sessions (“Zu Wasser” and “Zu Land”) of The Hercules and Leo Case, with Kat Petroschkat and Karo Knote,
recorded at Out Of The Box Festival, Munich
Concert for 3 voices, 3 waterglasses, 3 straws and drift wood
Listen to it here:
The Art Of Swimming Learned In Less Than An Our
Performance by The Hercules and Leo Case
The human being is descended from the frog – this case Jean Pierre Brisset, delirious linguist of the forelast century, was sure about. His writings on the relationship between human and frog influenced the Surrealists and Dadas, who named him “Prince of the Thinkers”. The Hercules and Leo Case take Brisset at his word. His studies on the frogish and french languages, as well as his swimming lessons, form the starting point for their “Brisset remix”.
34 Days Lamento
Multimedia Installation, video, 2-channel audio, 10 min
I sleep all the time so much, I think I already practice to die.
( Anna Maria Hartwig )
A radioplay, a video, a dress. Sounds, singing and words in memory of a person who has gone. A woman, motionless under a weeping willow moved by the wind. A long fade, a transition, from everything to nothing, from colored to white. And a moving light scanning the shadow that rests.
Videoinstallation, 2-channel audio, 22 min 56 sec
Into complete darkness, a life-sized woman is being projected. Fixing the camera with her eyes, she – tentatively at first – starts taking little steps on the spot. Continously, she increases her pace, intensity and sound of her steps until, finally, her whole body seems to be vibrating. Having reached this moment of maximum effort, all movement suddenly comes to a halt and begins anew after a short pause. (7 repetitions)
Annotation: The video is projected on a black board (2,00 x 1, 50 m) standing in a complete dark room, a subwoofer makes the sound physically tangible, the steps resonate on the floor. The person seems to be truly present.
Public Performance in collaboration with Julia Fehenberger, City Hall, Munich
It is the tragic-strange story of a beer tent fundamentalist. As part of the German offence of friendliness she seems to be a nice waitress in countrystyle. But it is her who becomes a suicide attacker, a nightmare for the „Laptop – and Leather trouser – Country”, a disaster for the “ World City with
Filmed with hidden camera from two perspectives.
Don`t Worry, I´m Working
Video-Performance, 16 min 32 sec
The video shows an oversized, hairless, adult baby in a romper suit working hard on its first big creation – the golden shit! In grotesque exaggeration the human being in then video is stylized as a monstrous baby, which tries to overcome its own nature at first playful then increasingly stubborn, finally desperate. The polarity of the supposed “free will” of the human and his determinations is questioned in humorous and sometimes weird – scary way.
Aba heit is koit*
(bavarian dialect: But today it`s cold)
regular guerilla dance performance in public space during 3 months in collaboration with Asisa Hafez , Munich
The weekly dance performance was a reaction on the so-called demonstrations of fascistic organisation PEGIDA München which took placeevery day at this time on the Marienplatz in the heart of Munich. During this “demonstrations” PEGIDA misused the call to prayer of the muezzin for heir anti islamic propaganda. It was earsplitting loudly blown over the square during three ours a day. This gesture of hate and violence produced speechlessness with shame and rage within many people in the city. The “public dance against social coldness” could be understood as a reaction on uprising right wings movements in Germany (and worldwide) and an encouragement to resist and find a positive way out of this speechlessness. It is a “resistdance” in the manner of the Schäffler-Dancers who became role models for the performance. Their dance is originated in Munich and remembers the years of the Pest, the so-called “black death” in 1515-1517, in which people feared to go out on the street because they
worried that the disease still hadn’t been defeated. To cheer the people up and to make them come out on the streets again a cooper (Schäffler) had the idea of organizing a joyful spectacle. The famous chime of bells in the tower of Munich`s city hall at Marienplatz reminds us every day of their encouraging dance and the its sweet sounds formed the starting point of the performance at 17 p.m.
Everyone was invited to join the dance to get warm again, to dispel the “new epidemic” called social coldness!
* part of the Schäffler`s – song
The Hercules and Leo Case
Performance Collective with Karo Knote and Katrin Petroschkat, since 2015
The Hercules and Leo Case create sound arrangements on the basis of voices and language. Voice is used as tool for an artistic sound research. Through voice The Hercules and Leo Case explore the range between multi-species utterings, noises, tones, and speech and plot them with the help of custom instrument-objects into a mesmerizing tonal narrative.
Named after a New York court case which attempted to give two captive chimps, Hercules and Leo, fundamental rights, the notion of „having a voice“ and the political implications thereof are recurring themes in The Hercules and Leo Case‘s performances.
Yes I can`t – Serial Public Failure
Three – weeks – Performance, 2013
„Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.“ ( Samuel Beckett )
During three weeks Maria Berauer tried hard to fail in her daily performances at the Klohäuschen in Munich. A timetable in the window of the exhibition space (a former public urinal) informed about the performances, which took place at different times (for example 4 am or 11 pm). Seventeen diverse performances and site-specific installations happened, most of them spontaneously in interaction with and reacting on the mostly coincidentally passing-by people and the local situation. Every action left traces on the building and its surrounding. At the closing event an installation of video documentation, photos, letters, notes and objects were shown on the spot.
Video Installation, 2-channel audio, loop
In the beginning it is hardly understandable what the video is showing. A swarm of animal-like creatures seem to float or fly in complete darkness, constantly blowing or sucking round shiny things in front of them. Nothing changes. The undefinable drove making the sound of blowing or breathing rarely moves. Every creature blows the little golden ball at different times, in shifted rhythms until they finally blow all together. After watching the video for a while it becomes more and more clear what it really is.
It shows 31 times the same image of a human head filmed from below. A golden sphere is blown from the mouth up in the air. Gravity pulls the sphere back to the mouth and when it arrives it stays for a while until it gets blown up again. This happens continually. The heads are turned 90° to the right. In this way the law of gravity is not obvious anymore and it gets confusing and mysterious at the same time. It makes you think of timeless space, endless universe and the permanent presence of a repetitive ubiquitous breath.
(odem: traditional poetic german expression for breath)
Annotation: The video is shown in a black box, projected on a black wall so that the only light is given by the shining heads.
Video Triptych, 2-channel audio, 05 min 49 sec
In this video the artist presents her own body similar to a ceremonial unveiling of an artwork by pulling a throw of blue fabric successively up in the air using a string. Since it is herself who noisily pulls the string, she holds her showing or hiding literally in her own hands. The blue fabric is lifted in rhythmic repetitions, revealing the almost naked body who constantly strives to cut a great figure before the „curtain“ falls again. Presented as a tryprich and time shifted every unveiling becomes an event and gives at the same time a critical – but winking – comment on the omnipresent compulsion of self-representation and self-dramatisation.